- Phrase-Lock helps you to use your login data optimally. In the settings you configure the app and your USB-Key according to your personal security demands. You provide your USB-Key with an individual master key and your login data are protected at the highest level. In the main mask, which appears immediately after the start, your most important login data are available as favourites. From there you can also quickly and easily access all other functions such as categories, a search function and the edit mask.
Get to know the possibilities of Phrase-Lock here and take some time for it, after all it’s all about your safety.
The start screen
- Here you see the start mask after a USB-Key has been installed with some login data as favorites. You must specify the operating system with which your USB-Key is to work. You can choose between „Windows“ and „Mac“. For Linux you should also select Windows. This selection is necessary because Macs and all other operating systems work differently. Strictly spoken it should have been Mac and Non-Mac, but that sounds too technical.
On the right you will also find a switch to disconnect or manually reactivate the connection to the USB-Key.
On the top left you will find the settings. The word Setup is also used synonymously for the settings.
With the plus sign at the top right you can create a new empty login record.
If you tap the icon with the three lines, you can rearrange your favourites.
Tap on the magnifying glass, you get a search mask to search fragmentarily for a login data set The folder symbol at the top right for the categories and their configuration.
If you briefly tap on a login data record in the start screen, the send menu opens to enter the login data via the USB-Key.
Send & enter passwords
- If you want to enter login data, tap on the desired entry and the dialog appears. If you tap the large blue button, the contents are entered via the USB-Key in the input mask on the computer according to the settings of the login data record.
With the button „Enter separately“ you can enter the individual elements of the login data set individually. This may be necessary, for example, if you want to change a password or because your login name is already in the mask.
With „Copy & Paste“ you can use the login elements individually directly on the device itself, if this is desired.
Create a dummy login record at the beginning and experiment a little with it. You will see how much pleasure Phrase-Lock provides when you see how the automatic input works.
Setup – Organization
- In the first block „ORGANISATION“ of the settings, or Setup, you can organise your USB-Keys. Here you set the keyboard layout for the USB-Key and the language in which Phrase-Lock presents itself to you.
Your login data will be sorted in the order of their input, which you can change at any time. If you prefer to sort your login data alphabetically, activate „Alphabetical sorting“.
Setup – Extended Services
- In the block ” EXTENDED SERVICES ” you import and export login data via the Enterprise Services. Use the first menu item “Enterprise Services Login” to open your virtual container. This contains all your login data intended for synchronization. Distribution, editing and synchronisation of login data to share with other USB-Keys and users becomes very easy and clear. The Enterprise Services are designed with the strictest security of secrets in mind. To do this, you generate your own synchronization key that is only used for transporting to and from a cell phone.
Please take 10 minutes to read the Enterprise Services manual. It describes in details what makes these services so secure.
Setup – Backup & Restore
- Backup and restore can be found in this block. Backups can also be read from other USB-Keys or cell phones if the affected USB-Keys were encrypted with the same master key. This also gives you an easy way to transfer login data.
Please note: If you do not remember the master key for a particular backup, there is technically no way to read or restore it!
Setup – Security & Service
- IIn the „SECURITY & SERVICE“ block you make various settings to optimize phrase lock for you. With the input speed you determine how fast your data can be entered via the USB-Key.
If you activate “USB-Key search”, Phrase-Lock will automatically search for one of the installed USB-Keys in the start mask.
If „Offline availability“ is activated, you can use your login data with Copy&Paste on your cell phone if the connection to the USB-Key is disconnected or interrupted. This gives you access to your passwords in meetings if, for example, you are separated from the USB-Key at your workstation in the meeting room.
With iOS devices you can also protect Phrase-Lock with your fingerprint. With Android, this feature is still experimental and probably not yet supported by Phrase-Lock.
Activate „Full text view“, to see your data in plain text in the send dialog when you press „Copy & Paste“.
With the password generator you can adjust the composition of the generated passwords. This allows you to create passwords up to 32 characters in length that cannot be corrupted. Give it a try!
With the last menu item in this block you insert your personal and individual master key. This step is necessary to create backups.
Mit dem letzen Menüpunkt in diesem Block setzen Sie Ihren persönlichen und individuellen Hauptschlüssel ein. Dieser Schritt ist notwendig um Backups zu erstellen.
- Tap on the magnifying glass in the start mask to open the search dialog. Here you can search for the name of a login record that you need quickly but rarely and can’t remember in which category you saved the record. More than 150 records are not uncommon for Phrase-Lock; this search dialog can be quite useful.
- Click on the folder icon in the top right corner of the start screen to access the mask for managing your categories. If you manage more than 25-30 login data with Phrase-Lock, categories are a very useful thing. By the way, you can assign a login record to several categories if, for example, you want to find a certain email account in the category Emails as well as Privat.
Please note: The categories are not predefined and must first be created by you. The number of categories you can create is not limited.
- The masks „Details“ and „Edit“ are opened if a record needs to be edited. You can define up to three parameters for each login data record, which are transferred during automatic input. Use the buttons on the right of each line to determine whether the parameter is also transmitted. You can also define a link to call up the corresponding web page, for example. Phrase-Lock also supports one-time passwords if you need them. With the button “Enter login data” you can call up the send dialog from just from here.
With the buttons “Browser Extension Setup” and “Push-To-Login” you can create special links to call up your favourites quickly and easily in the browser of your choice. A push message to your cell phone then selects the appropriate account; all you have to do is tap your phone again and you are logged in.
- You can call up the edit mask either from the details view or directly from the context menu of the respective login data record, e.g. in the start mask. Here you edit your login data in the order in which they are entered later. Passwords are easy to generate, you never have to think about which again. If you have a lot of data to enter, the QR data generator on this page supports you. This allows you to quickly transfer many login data to Phrase-Lock.