General information about Phrase-Lock
- Why Phrase-Lock?
- It is an undisputed fact that nowadays electronic media are becoming more and more demanding on every individual. Ensuring data security and identity protection are key challenges in an increasingly complex environment. Attacks on IT systems are no longer an exception, but a daily reality. Every IT manager can report on thousands and thousands of attacks, such as those that occur again and again on mail servers, for example. To communicate with the outside world also always means to open up a bit and to be a target of attack.
Passwords, and in particular their quality, play a central role in security issues. Our minds work associatively and are rarely capable of permanently remembering several passwords such as “N)!wFAtJg5pyaE8L”.
Phrase-Lock relieves you of the need for memory performance and allows you to use any number of secure passwords in a wide range.
- The Phrase-Lock License Model
- With Phrase-Lock, you acquire an extremely secure solution for your sensitive access data that requires only one free USB slot. You don’t need to install any additional plug-ins or enter a master password periodically. By separating the data on your phone and the master key on the USB-Key, Phrase-Lock offers unrivalled security.
Ongoing adjustments of the apps and the software base made it necessary to switch our business model from the one-time revenues of the USB-Keys to a periodic license model. As a result, we were able to significantly lower the prices for the USB-Keys and our licensing model is by far the cheapest. This enables us to continue to offer services to our customers largely free of charge. If your USB key should be defect, you will get a free replacement as long as your license is active.
The license model can be ordered up to three years in advance. You will be informed before the end of the license period and then you will have approx. 21 days to arrange the renewal via a personal link. If you don’t want an extension, you don’t need to explicitly cancel, you simply let the period pass unanswered.
What happens after the expiry of the extension period?
• The basic functions for entering passwords with the USB-Key will remain.
• You will still receive updates for your Phrase-Lock App.
• All functions of the Enterprise Services and the API are no longer available to you.
• Support will be charged.
- Is Phrase-Lock safe?
- The managed login data of the Phrase-Lock app cannot be decrypted without the corresponding USB-Key. Its master key is only communicated to the smartphone on which the USB-Key was previously installed. The USB-Key itself is protected against multiple installation and can be left connected to the PC, because it has no value for unauthorized persons! If a component – smartphone or USB-Key – is actually lost, it can be replaced. With a backup, the original status can be easily restored.
Phrase-Lock offers multifactorial protection for the stored login data. The “have something element” consists of a smartphone and USB-Key, the “know something element” is your individual master key of your USB-Key. Of course, this also includes the fingerprint or PIN code of your cell phone. In practice, this protects your login data even if everything gets lost.
- Am I independent with Phrase-Lock?
- Yes, with Phrase-Lock you are completely independent! Many solutions, most of them are based on additional software, only work to a limited extent! You can store passwords or credit card data in any browser, but then this only works with this browser or only on a specific computer. Phrase-Lock stands for independency from computers, operating systems, browsers and programs. All you need is a free USB port.
Of course, we also offer additional services and functions for professional use, such as the synchronisation of login data between several persons and USB-Keys. However, we do not force anyone to use these services, nor they are a prerequisite. With a Phrase-Lock USB-Key and the app on your smartphone, you have everything you need to protect and use your login data.
- The Phrase-Lock app is available for iOS devices from version 12.1, for Android from version 6.0 and for the Phrase-Lock USB-Key you need a free USB slot on your computer.
- Where is Phrase-Lock made?
- All software was produced in Austria. The infrastructure of the operator iPoxo IT GmbH is located on Austrian soil and is subject to the applicable data protection regulations. The hardware of the USB-Key is a European development, manufactured in Europe, USA or Far East.
Questions in case of loss
- What happens if I lose my cell phone?
- If you lose your phone, it is unfortunate, but your data is not at risk. Because without the USB-Key no data can be read out. Even if the finder actually manages to “crack” the phone’s memory: the encrypted data cannot be decrypted without a USB-Key. This is technically impossible due to the AES-256 encryption.
IIn practice, it is often recommended to use at least two USB-Keys. One for work and one for home. The USB-Keys therefore can be left plugged in and do not have to be transported or stored.
- What happens if I lose my USB-Key?
- If you lose a USB-Key, you can order a new one from us and restore a backup that you (hopefully) have previously created. Under „How To – Encrypt & Backup“ bzw. „How To – Restore backup“ you will find the necessary instructions.
- The USB-Key cannot be installed
- If a USB-Key cannot be installed after one or two attempts, or if it appears that the phone is not communicating with your USB-Key, but all the required rights are set, please follow the steps below. On some Android phones the Phrase-Lock USB-Key can only be installed with some “support”. After that, however, everything works without problems.
1) Unplug the USB-Key
2) If you have already installed a USB-Key, unplug it and deactivate the “USB-Key search” function under “SECURITY & SERVICE” in the settings.
3) Close the app and remove it from the list of running apps. (DO NOT UNINSTALL OR DELETE!)
4) Switch Bluetooth off and on again. Disconnect or switch off other Bluetooth devices if necessary
5) Restart the Phrase-Lock App
6) Reconnect the USB-Key
7) Try the installation again
If these steps do not work, restart your phone and try again.
- I want to install my USB-Key on a new phone, but it doesn’t work…
- If you have bought a new cell phone and want to install your USB-Key there, you first have to uninstall the USB-Key on the old cell phone (please make a current backup first). If you have forgotten to do so and your old phone has been deleted or is no longer available, please contact us. We will then activate your USB-Key for a new installation.
Please note: For security reasons it is not possible to install and operate a USB-Key on more than one device. This security mechanism can, in a case such as described here, be revoked for a certain period of time. However, the simultaneous use of a USB-Key on several cell phones can lead to data loss and the expiration of the license.